Foreclosure Prevention Resources
Choose Language English Spanish

Oregon Foreclosure Avoidance Program

Oregon Foreclosure Avoidance Program logoThe Oregon Foreclosure Avoidance (OFA) Program is a mandatory, statewide foreclosure mediation program. Before most lenders can begin foreclosure of a residential trust deed, they must request a face-to-face meeting with the homeowner through OFA. The process is simple. The homeowner pays a fee, meets with a housing counselor, submits documents, and shows up at the meeting. The lender must produce information about the loan and send a representative with complete authority to negotiate and commit to a foreclosure alternative.

Watch This Short Video.

What To Expect

If you or your lender requests a resolution conference and you pay the required fee on time, you will receive:

  • Free housing counseling
  • A secure portal to exchange documents with your lender
  • Information about your loan
  • A face-to-face meeting with your lender
  • Neutral oversight by a professional facilitator

The facilitator's goal is to help you and your lender work toward an alternative to foreclosure – such as a loan modification, forbearance, short sale or a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure. Your housing counselor may be available to attend the Resolution Conference with you to aid in the negotiation with your lender.

How To Get Started

If you receive a Notice of Resolution Conference:
  • Pay the required fee by the deadline in the notice. The fee is either $50 or $175 depending on your household income. If you miss the fee deadline, you waive your right to participate and your lender may commence foreclosure at any time.
  • Meet with a housing counselor - It's helpful to bring as much information as possible about your loan and finances to your initial meeting. Click here for a list of required documents.
  • Submit documents your lender needs to evaluate you for foreclosure alternatives.
  • Attend the Resolution Conference. You may bring along a housing counselor, an attorney, or both.

If you want to request a Resolution Conference, you must first meet with a housing counselor. For more information, contact a housing counselor, call the service provider at 855-658-6733, or visit

Other Resources